Florida senior strong safety Ahmad Black plays bigger than his stature indicates and is one of the most intriguing defensive backs in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Black's senior season was one to remember. He notched 109 total tackles, a sack, two forced fumbles and five interceptions, one of which was returned for a score. He has 13 career interceptions with three returned for touchdowns.
- Reliable tackler - breaks down well in space
- Makes plays in the box
- Team leader
- Impressive coverage skills
Dangerous with the ball in his hands
Size and speed working against him
- Fluid hips, low backpedal - transitions well in one-on-one coverage
- 35 1/2-inch vertical jump helps offset his lack of height
- Undersized for a strong safety (5-foot-9 1/2, 184 pounds)
- Limited experience at safety (former cornerback)
- Average speed (official 4.70 seconds in the 40-yard dash; 4.74 seconds at his Pro Day)
- Can be blocked out of a lot of plays
Expected draft placement
Black is likely to come off the board on the second day of the draft. A slide into the fifth round is very doubtful, but it wouldn't be a shock if he lasted until the early fourth round.
About Cory J. Bonini
Cory is KFFL's General Manager. In late 2002, he joined the KFFL staff as a research analyst and has been involved in fantasy sports since 1996. A member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, as well as Fantasy Sports Writers Association, Bonini has been featured in print, on radio and on scores of websites. Bonini co-hosted Big Lead Sports on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio from 2011 to 2012.
Bonini was recognized with the 2010 Best Article in Print Award from the FSWA and was a finalist for the same award in 2011. In '11, he finished first overall in the FSWA NFL experts challenge that featured 60 of the industry's best competitors.
Don't miss these great reports....